Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chicken Tacos

Ingredients
Shredded chicken
Sliced Squash- we used a mix of green and yellow then cooked it for a few minutes with butter on the stove
Corn- fresh would be better, but we used canned and it was fine
Black beans
Whole grain tortillas- something we just recently discovered-inauthentic but so good!
Radishes
Cilantro
Avocado
Limes
Valentina (optional I suppose, but I couldn't imagine these without it)

Limey Dressing, adapted from a salad dressing in ATK Cookbook, p. 78*
5 tablespoons e.v. olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 small jalapenos seeded and minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 pepper

* this could be used as a marinade if you are the kind of person who plans ahead. As I'm not, I just cooked the chicken in half of this and dumped the second half on after cooking.


Mix all dressing ingredients together- cook the chicken on a skillet with half of the dressing mixture until cooked through. Then, shred the chicken and place in serving bowl with rest of dressing poured on top. Spoon chicken, corn, cilantro, radishes, and avocado onto a warmed tortilla. Spinkle Valentina liberally and then squeeze a lime on top for maximum deliciousness. Serve with warm black beans, squash, and fruit on the side.

4 comments:

  1. Yay you updated your cooking bloggy blog! I have to ask...what is Valentina? I don't believe I've heard of it before.

    Ah, don't you just love cilantro and lime juice? To me, those two combined make Mexican food happen. So fresh tasting.

    And, Dean's chicken looks amazing! Isn't grilling meat the most wonderful thing ever? We recently got a grill, and we use it practically every night. I love it because Justus usually takes care of the grilling which means all I have to do is make a side dish or salad. When it's hot outside, I just hate standing over a hot stove. Plus, there is nothing like the smoky taste of grilled meat and vegetables.

    That pico looks scrumptious! It reminds me of grilled pineapple with lime juice and honey drizzled over it. Yum.

    P.S. Georgie is really excited about your blog background. She is busy pointing to the candies on top of the cupcakes and say "Candy. Yum. " as she pretends to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valentina is just a kind of hot sauce. It's my personal favorite, but it's just one of many kinds. You can see it in the picture of all my hot sauces! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps- I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses the grilling=husband cooks dinner trick! :) It is the best for summer cooking- otherwise it's just too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I'll have to give it a try. ;)

    ReplyDelete